PBA Comics Auction Offers Rare Finds for Spider-Man Afficionados Never Before Publicly Offered for Sale
BERKELEY, CA, USA, December 8, 2022 /EINPresswire.com/ — PBA Comics, a division of PBA Galleries, is proud to announce the highly anticipated “The Spidey Sale” auction, featuring renowned Spider-Man co-creator and artist Steve Ditko’s personal collection of Spider-Man comics, never before publicly offered for sale. Including the late Ditko’s own copies of “Amazing Fantasy” #15, “Amazing Spider-Man” #s 1-38, and “Amazing Spider-Man” Annuals #s 1 and 2, each book comes with an illustrated certificate of authenticity from the Ditko Estate, signed by the artist’s brother, Patrick Ditko. Additionally, each book is certified by third-party grading company CGC as “From the Collection of Steve Ditko.” The auction is now open for pre-bidding on the PBA Galleries site with the live auction taking place today, Thursday, December 8 at 11 a.m. PST.
“This rare collection is of unparalleled significance to Spider-Man collectors and avid enthusiasts alike – undoubtedly the most important run of Spider-Man comics ever to come to market,” said Ivan Briggs, director of comics, PBA Galleries. “It’s amazing to have the personal collection of the co-creator of Spider-Man available to the public – his only complete set of his legendary Spider-Man run. In fact, the existence of the collection was entirely unknown to the comics world until the Ditko estate offered them to PBA Galleries.”
Key Auction Highlights include:
• “Amazing Fantasy” #15: Origin and first appearance of Spider-Man. As the reclusive artist’s only intact copy of this milestone book, this is the single most important copy of the most coveted comic book of the Silver Age
• “Amazing Spider-Man” #1: Following Spidey’s successful debut in “Amazing Fantasy” #15, the character was spun off in his own title (from the personal collection of Steve Ditko)
• “Amazing Spider-Man” #3: Origin and first appearance of Dr. Octopus, familiar to moviegoers due to Alfred Molina’s portrayal in the movies “Spider-Man 2” (2004) and “Spider-Man: No Way Home” (2021) (from the personal collection of Steve Ditko)
• “Amazing Spider-Man” #14: First appearance of the Green Goblin, familiar to moviegoers due to Willem Defoe’s portrayal in the movies “Spider-Man” (2002) and “Spider-Man: No Way Home” (2021) (from the personal collection of Steve Ditko)
• Group of original photos of Steve Ditko, the reclusive artist who co-created Spider-Man; Ditko refused to do interviews, make public appearances and have his photo taken and these photos are a very few images of the artist known to exist (from the estate of Eric Stanton, Steve Ditko’s studio mate)
• Copies of “Amazing Spider-Man” #s 1-300+ from other consignors, vintage Spider-Man toys and collectibles, and original Spider-Man art by Daniel Clowes, the greatest alternative cartoonist of his generation
For more information on how to bid or future sales, visit www.pbagalleries.com.
ABOUT PBA Galleries
PBA Galleries is proud of its nearly 70 years of service to collectors of rare and fine books and works on paper. PBA holds live auctions every two weeks and specifically comic book auctions 4-6 times a year. Based in the San Francisco Bay area, the customer-oriented auction house welcomes buyers and sellers from all over the world to participate in their sales.
email us here
NRS Public Relations
PBA Comics: The Steve Ditko Collection