Everything You Need to Know About the Freedom to Vote Act
The Senate just announced a landmark pro-democracy bill called the Freedom to Vote Act. It’s a massive leap forward in our fight to protect democracy.
Here’s what the Freedom to Vote Act will accomplish:
- Makes Election Day a holiday
- Ends gerrymandering
- Combats anti-voting laws working their way through state legislatures
- Requires states to allow 15 days of early voting (including 2 weekends)
- Massively expands voting access through automatic voter registration and election day registration
- Increases election security by creating a national standard for voter verified paper ballots
- Implements a national voter ID standard with reasonable alternatives like utility bills or bank statements
- Requires voting machines be made in the United States
- Protects nonpartisan election officials from partisan interference
- Shines a light on dark money
- Makes it harder for billionaires and special interests to buy elections
These provisions are powerful and transformative, and if passed the bill would be the most impactful pro-democracy law in generations.
The vote occurs 12:00 PM EST and 9:00 AM PST tomorrow January, 18 2022. Call 1(833)339-0709 to make your voice heard.